Warmer Tenants Advice Service for Private Tenants

Our vision is that every householder has the right to live in a warm, dry and mould-free home, which is affordable to heat in winter and comfortable in the summer. Our Warmer Tenants Advice Service aims to support private tenants raise the quality of their home, lower energy consumption and make financial savings to reduce (or reduce the risk of) fuel poverty for vulnerable private sector tenants. We believe a warmer, healthier home will have a wide impact on tenants’ wellbeing.

Warm and healthy home

Not all tenants are aware of the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating for their home and when it comes to making energy efficient home improvements, tackling damp and mould, and looking for ways to save money, many tenants worry that asking their landlord or property management company about this could result in rent increases or eviction. However, tenants have a right to a warm and healthy place to live and we are here to help.

If you are an agency, association or frontline worker supporting vulnerable private tenants, then please get in touch on 0800 954 1956 or email [email protected]

Our telephone service is available to offer advice and support in:

  • Working with your landlord to achieve an EPC rating of E or above on the property you live in, saving you an average of between £700 and £1,630 per year on energy costs.
  • Securing any available funding to make energy efficient, cost-effective, low carbon improvements
  • Tariff switching, energy debt, crisis grants, health and wellbeing support services, referrals for carbon monoxide and smoke alarms, and fire safety checks
  • Helping to engage with your landlord and seeking your landlord’s consent regarding improvements.

For more complex energy related issues and advocacy support needs, we offer property visits to assess and advise on:

  • Access to grants for heating repairs and upgrades, insulation and other energy efficiency measures.
  • Advice on saving energy and money, including basic energy saving measures (e.g. LED lightbulbs, draught proofing, thermostats, radiator reflectors)
  • Helping with meter issues
  • Help to understand energy bills, consumption, EPC ratings, switching tariffs or suppliers, managing energy debt and other issues with energy suppliers.
  • Advice on identifying the causes of and reducing condensation and mould.
  • Links to services provided by other local and national organisations.

In light of COVID-19 restrictions the service can be delivered by phone, three-way calls, or video call.

We have a team of advisors and a dedicated Landlords & Tenants Advisor ready to help you. Just contact Nicole Solomons on 0800 954 1956 or email [email protected]

Funded by the Energy Industry Voluntary Redress Scheme:

Frequently Asked Questions

Is a landlord obliged to show me the EPC for my rented property?
Yes. If a landlord doesn’t provide the tenant with a copy of the EPC they can be fined £200.

My landlord wants to carry out work to my property – do I have to let them?
No, not always, it will depend on the agreement you signed. Any request should be carefully considered though and the benefits thought about, including a reduction in energy costs. A tenant should always give access for essential works and repairs to protect their health and safety.

Can I apply for grants to have works carried out to improve the energy efficiency of the property?
Yes. Grant applications are usually made in the tenant’s name and assessed on their income. However, permission will need to be granted by the landlord.

My house has damp and mould. Does the landlord have to put this right?
Yes, if there are deficiencies in the property contributing to the damp and mould. Under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System, the property has to be adequately heated and free from mould and damp caused by property deficiencies.

Can I make a complaint about my landlord?
Yes. It is recommended to approach the landlord first, if possible, about the issue and give them two weeks to reply. It is best to put this in writing. If there is no response or a negative response, a complaint can be made via Cornwall Council’s Private Sector Housing team.