Advice Service for Landlords

Landlords strive to provide tenants with a warm and healthy space for their tenants to live in, and this promotes a more stable tenancy with less problems. In fact, if the property is more energy efficient, warmer and free of damp and mould, your tenant should save money on their energy bills, helping them to better afford their rent and stay with you for longer. A better Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating is also attractive to new prospective tenants. An improved property means less maintenance when it comes to a tenant changeover.

However, it can be difficult to understand and negotiate the various regulations and statutory obligations which need to be met and making any changes is often anticipated as time-consuming, stressful and can be a real struggle to pay for the necessary improvements.

Image of EPC rating

We can help by offering advice and support in:

  • Helping you understand the regulations and statutory obligations as a landlord
  • Achieving an EPC rating of E or above on your property
  • Understanding Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES)
  • Understanding Housing Health & Safety Rating Systems (HHSRS)
  • Making cost-effective, low carbon improvements to your property
  • Securing any available funding
  • Moving to a low-carbon property, thus future-proofing your property to any new regulations

For more complex energy related issues and advocacy support needs, we offer property visits to assess and advise on:

  • EPC ratings and recommended measures
  • basic energy saving measures (e.g. LED lightbulbs, draught proofing, thermostats, radiator reflectors)
  • Smart meter upgrades
  • identifying the causes of damp and mould
  • the suitability of home improvements and energy saving measures
  • room temperatures
  • exemptions regime and specific building issues e.g. listed buildings.

If you need to talk to our team, just contact our Landlord Liaison Officer, Nicole Solomons on 01872 308930 or email: [email protected]

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need an EPC for my domestic property?
Anyone who sells or rents out a property needs an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) unless it is:

  • A place of worship
  • A temporary structure
  • A standalone building of less than 50m2
  • A listed building (but only where the improvements would unacceptably alter the character or appearance of the property)

A landlord must provide a tenant with a copy of the EPC or face a fine of £200.

How do I know if I already have an EPC and what does it score?
You can search via your postcode on the government’s EPC Register.

What are Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES)?

Click here for MEES guidance leaflet
Click here for guidance for landlords with historic buildings

Introduced in 2018 but from April 2020, MEES are applicable to all domestic tenancies where a property legally requires an EPC and is let on a qualifying tenancy. It sets a minimum standard of an E on the EPC which means that properties that score an F or G on the EPC will no longer be legally lettable. More information can be found on guidance leaflets from Cornwall Council: MEES Guidance leaflet and MEES Guidance leaflet for landlords with historic buildings

Are there any exemptions from having to reach an E on my EPC?
Yes, there are various exemptions. For example, if the cost of improvements will go over £3,500 incl. VAT; or the improvement would devalue the property; or a tenant does not give permission to have works carried out. A landlord would need to register these exemptions on the PRS Exemptions Register.

What is the HHSRS (Housing Health & Safety Rating System)?
This also applies to rented properties. It was introduced under the Housing Act 2004 and ensures a property is free from unacceptable hazards, e.g. adequately heated, without damp and mould, safe electrics, and conforms to fire safety standards. There are no exemptions from complying with this. Compliance is enforced by the local Council and non-compliance can lead to fines of up to £30,000 and criminal prosecution.