The Warm Home Discount Scheme is a government initiative which provides a one-off discount of £140 off your electricity bill, which is credited to your energy bill between September and March by your electricity supplier. If your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity, you may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead of your electricity bill.
Qualifying for the Warm Home Discount
There are two ways to qualify for the Warm Home Discount Scheme:
- If you receive the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit, you should receive the Warm Home Discount automatically.
- If you’re on a low income and meet your energy supplier’s criteria for the scheme, you will need to check your energy supplier’s eligibility criteria and apply direct with your energy supplier.
Claiming the Warm Home Discount
- You will need to be a customer of an energy supplier that offers the Warm Home Discount Scheme and you need to be a customer in mid-July to qualify for their Warm Home Discount in the following Autumn/Winter.
- If your energy supplier does not offer the Warm Home Discount, check if you qualify for the discount from another supplier and switch before mid-July to qualify for the following Autumn/Winter’s Warm Home Discount.
- If you change energy supplier, make sure that they offer the Warm Home Discount before switching and if you decide to switch supplier, switch before mid-July to qualify for the following Autumn/Winter’s Warm Home Discount Scheme.
- Some energy suppliers only have a very small window of time for customers to apply for the discount in August and usually many of the people who apply miss out because the energy supplier has had too many applications for the amount of funding they hold. If you are likely to qualify for the Warm Home Discount, it may be worth switching to a ‘big six’ energy supplier with a larger Warm Home Discount obligation as you could stand a better chance of accessing the £140 discount in the Autumn/Winter.
- If you live in a Park Home and pay your site owner for your energy, you may qualify for the Park Home Warm Home Discount scheme operated by Charis. We’re hoping the scheme will be available from Autumn 2021, so register your interest here: https://www.parkhomeswhd.com or phone 0330 380 1040 or Contact us if you need further help.