Our fundraising campaign is now underway to help householders who are in desperate situations because they need emergency and long term help to keep warm and healthy in winter.
The Cold Homes Relief Fund for Cornwall provides emergency measures including pre-payment gas and electric key meter top-ups; heated blankets; and plug-in oil filled radiators. Longer term solutions include funding for an energy advisor to provide home visits to give practical help and advice.
Most donations come from people who receive a Winter Fuel Payment and donate some or all of it because they don’t need it financially to keep warm and would like to see it go to vulnerable people who really need it.
Community Energy Plus has been fighting fuel poverty and the misery of cold homes in Cornwall for over 20 years. From Autumn onwards, we regularly receive calls from local householders who are in desperate situations because they don’t have enough money to top-up their energy pre-pay meters.
Cornwall suffers from disproportionately high levels of fuel poverty compared to other parts of the country. A combination of old homes which are hard to insulate, reliance on expensive forms of heating, low incomes and high heating needs due to illness or age, mean that many low income households are forced to make tough decisions. For some of the most vulnerable members of our communities this can lead to the lights going out and the heating switching off when they run out of emergency credit on their gas or electricity meters.
How you can help
Our Cold Homes Relief Fund for Cornwall provides emergency energy meter top-ups for vulnerable households in financial crisis this winter.
If you receive the Winter Fuel Payment and are in the fortunate financial situation to not need all or some of it to keep warm this winter, or you would just like to help us give the gift of warmth to Cornish families in need, please donate to our campaign.
To make sure as much money goes to the people who need it, donations are made via KindLink, a fundraising platform which ensures 100% of your donation goes to Community Energy Plus to help the people who need your support. We pay a small percentage for payment processing fees. For example, for a £100 donation, we would pay £1.59 to the payment processing company. There is also an opportunity for you to leave a message and find out how your donations are helping the community in Cornwall.
How your money will be used
A flexible fund of emergency and longer term help to keep vulnerable householders warm, including:
- Electric and gas key meter top-ups
- Heated blankets – costing around 4p an hour to keep someone warm; they’re ideal for people who cannot afford to run a full heating system.
- Plug-in oil filled radiators – these are usually provided to families to provide emergency heating when boilers break.
Your donation will also help us to fund an energy advisor to provide a home visit to administer practical help and advice. They will also work with the householder to help them to work towards the longer term objectives of lower energy bills which will include:
- Tariff switching, accessing the £140 Warm Home Discount from their energy supplier and social water tariffs.
- Improving the energy efficiency of their home, with access to local schemes for insulation and heating upgrades, which may involve us putting together ‘jigsaws’ of funding from multiple sources to fund measures.
- Referrals and signposting to other services such as Fire Safety Checks for free smoke and carbon monoxide alarms; Debt and Money Advice, Food Banks, etc.